Thursday, June 17, 2010

Identity Loss.

Who am I anyway?? We went to our new ward on Sunday. I was really excited to be out of a singles ward and in a family ward again. I even had Dave set the time up on my camera so we could take a "family picture". Yes, it turned out cute. my husband is the sweetest and cutest! Please admire our tans and don't mind our non-organized little apartment it will be cute and homey soon!




Anyway, as usual, newcomers introduced themselves. We stood up and Dave introduces us as Dave and Roni Palmer which WAS fun to hear. The rest of church people asked me if I was related to these Palmers or those Palmers. I had to go on to explain that Dave was not from here nor was he related to any of the TONS of Palmers here in Mesa. (There is a big mormon Palmer gathering here in Mesa.) I felt like Roni Whipple was a thing of the past. No one knew who I was or where I was from or anything. It was a little sad to me to realize that from here on out when I meet people they won't know my history.

This was not something that had really gone through my mind. One friend mentioned it to me but I guess it didn't hit until Sunday at about 12:30 in the afternoon. I am going to try to just embrace it but it's a little hard/weird.

That's all.

Hold up, I don't want to come across too upset because a new name and my new life with my new husband in our new apartment and new ward will be great! And I will embrace it, I will! It was just a little bit of shock is all.

5 comments:

  1. You guys look so cute! And don't worry, I still call you Roni Whipple when I talk about you, as in, "I wonder if Roni Whipple would buy this?" That's how I shop for clothes now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, this brings back memories of when my husband and I were first married ! An apartment that has yet to be organized, working SO hard just to get out of bed in the morning - all the fun things about being a newlywed : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. AW- adorable- you two:)!! cant wait to hang out again! Cant wait to see your CUTE apt- as i'm sure it will be in no time, and then maybe you can come make my house "cute" as well:) It IS weird, starting out, new ward- i always hate moving to a new ward and starting all over, but good thing the church is the same everywhere:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That picture is ADORABLE! I love it. And you're both dressed so cute.

    Giving up my maiden name was really hard for me. It totally is an identity loss. I held onto it until I had kids. In college I was Katie Benson-Smith. I just couldn't drop it. But when I had kids it was easier. I finally changed it legally when I was pregnant with Parker.

    Oh the sacrifices you make for love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it....you guys look great!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete