I've decided that if Dave is going to let me have a baby then I need to be prepared to make it food. I also think it would be real cute of me to make a real meal from scratch for my cute husband and I think it would be even cuter if there would be left overs so I could pack him a lunch to take to his midnight shift with him. (Otherwise he has to go to QT; where else can you get food at 4:00 in the morning?)
I've finally decided to learn to cook!! We own several cook books at this point and I have blog stalked several cooking blogs to get ideas too. Last week I decided to make BBQ chicken and the BBQ sauce was from scratch. It was a hit! Next up pasta... he ate it, said it was good, but the noodles were still crunchy (woops) and I didn't have enough sauce (double woops). He ate it any way and took it to lunch for several meals. I still feel bad.
On to round three! I decided I wanted to make an entire meal from scratch including the side dishes (which I have a hard time figuring out what to make to go with stuff). I found this adorable blog (who wouldn't want to make something coming from such a cute blog) which had a crock pot recipe for pulled pork tacos. So, the day before we made a trip to the store and got the goods. I was so excited to throw the stuff in the crock pot in the morning and then see what happened when I got home from work that night. I was sure I was gonna screw it all up and that we would end up at Costa Vida, his favorite place. I made spanish rice, and then had the cheese, tomatoes and cilantro ready to go. The pork actually pulled apart and was soooo good!! The recipe called for more chili powder then I would suggest though. I got out my Crate & Barrel serving dishes and my smaller Anthro bowls and we had a REAL MEAL!! This was an even bigger success, I kept asking Dave if he was proud of me because I am SO PROUD of myself! Of course he said yes (doesn't he have to this early in the game?). My brother came for left overs tonight and I knew he would be honest - he like it too!!
Next up: figure out how and what to pair with my main dishes! Why don't cook books give you ideas? I will drive my mom crazy calling her all the time! Any suggestions?
I've finally decided to learn to cook!! We own several cook books at this point and I have blog stalked several cooking blogs to get ideas too. Last week I decided to make BBQ chicken and the BBQ sauce was from scratch. It was a hit! Next up pasta... he ate it, said it was good, but the noodles were still crunchy (woops) and I didn't have enough sauce (double woops). He ate it any way and took it to lunch for several meals. I still feel bad.
On to round three! I decided I wanted to make an entire meal from scratch including the side dishes (which I have a hard time figuring out what to make to go with stuff). I found this adorable blog (who wouldn't want to make something coming from such a cute blog) which had a crock pot recipe for pulled pork tacos. So, the day before we made a trip to the store and got the goods. I was so excited to throw the stuff in the crock pot in the morning and then see what happened when I got home from work that night. I was sure I was gonna screw it all up and that we would end up at Costa Vida, his favorite place. I made spanish rice, and then had the cheese, tomatoes and cilantro ready to go. The pork actually pulled apart and was soooo good!! The recipe called for more chili powder then I would suggest though. I got out my Crate & Barrel serving dishes and my smaller Anthro bowls and we had a REAL MEAL!! This was an even bigger success, I kept asking Dave if he was proud of me because I am SO PROUD of myself! Of course he said yes (doesn't he have to this early in the game?). My brother came for left overs tonight and I knew he would be honest - he like it too!!
Next up: figure out how and what to pair with my main dishes! Why don't cook books give you ideas? I will drive my mom crazy calling her all the time! Any suggestions?
Good for you! Just start with the meal your mom made growing up. Then you'll figure it our on your own eventually and can start pairing things up on your own. It's fun!
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you, wish I could have been there to taste your yummy meal. Way to go, keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteRoni is quite the little cook. She doesn't give herself enough credit. So we haven't had your specialty (panini's) in a long time. You make the best panini's.
ReplyDelete